Friday 29 November 2013

What will I major in?


The most challenging question after I enter in university was that which major I should choose. For me, which major I chose, I would engage in related job. Therefore, this made the question be more complicated and I needed to think more deeply and all rounded. Although I was an engineering student, I know that I had chance to choose the major in other areas.

 

Choosing the major in other area, majoring in social work was one of the considerations. From secondary school, I was a member of Red Cross and member of a volunteer group in a charity. Through these experiences, my characteristics had changed a lots and I want to help the people. This inspired me to become a social worker and chose it be the major. I became outgoing and learned how to communicate with different people. Many people around me said that I was suitable for being a social worker because of outgoing and helpful characteristics. However, I discovered that social worker was not suitable for me. Social worker was a job needed to face many people. I did not have problem on communication with other people but I still a little bit introverted that when I faced people, I sometimes felt nervous. In addition, social work needed to be talkative and having skills when talking with the others. I felt difficulties to talk skillfully that I needed to think for a while and afraid of saying something wrong. Therefore, I would not choose social work be the major.

 

In my senior secondary school, I studied Chemistry as one of my elective subject. I interested in Chemistry afterward. I thought knowing the components of the matters and the chemical reactions related to our daily life were fascinating. I could know more about the things in daily life but those things were not always discussed. I would like to in a major which I am interested in. Applied Chemistry was the major that I wanted in. Applied Chemistry was the subject about chemistry and there was different area of chemistry such as organic chemistry and analytical chemistry which I wanted to have further study on them.

 

In addition, I had experience to work in laboratory where underwent the experiments about analytical chemistry. Apart from the interest, this experience helped me to discover that I had the ability and was suitable to working in the laboratory. I was careful and patience enough in handling the chemical and waiting for results. I was a person who liked to follow the instructions or procedures. I felt comfortable during doing the experiments in laboratory because I did not need to face may people and needed many skills on communications. I wanted to be a laboratory technician that working in laboratory to undergo the experiments for analyzing the matter. Applied Chemistry was the subject that was more suitable for me to choose as I wanted to be laboratory technician. The subject included analytical chemistry which was mostly related to the laboratory work. Through studying in applied chemistry, I also could learn more laboratory skills. Then, this could help me to become a laboratory technician in the future.

 

Applied chemistry was the major that I wanted in and matching with my interest and personalities. If I want to study applied chemistry, I will do my best in order to fight for a place to transition to the Science collage. Furthermore, as I am an engineering student, I would also like to discover myself more on the engineering aspect in this year in order to knowing myself more and make the best decision for my future.

 

602 words

No comments:

Post a Comment